- Check your tri-color LED connection. Is the tri-color LED plugged in correctly and securely? Watch the first video below to double check your tri-color LED connection.
- Make sure your micro:bit is plugged in securely.
- Check the orientation of the micro:bit. If your micro:bit is plugged into the Hummingbird Bit upside down (the micro:bit screen facing downwards), your components will not work.
- Make sure the program is downloading correctly with an icon test. If you put a “show icon” block in the “on start” loop and then download the file, you can ensure that the .hex file is being sent to the micro:bit. Visit this article to learn more.
- Double check your tri-color LED code. In most cases, the issue can be solved through the code. To test your tri-color LED with accurate code, open this MakeCode program, plug in your tri-color LED into tri-color LED port 1, and download the code onto your micro:bit. Watch the second video below to check your tri-color LED code.
- Make sure you are using correct Hummingbird blocks. There are 2 sets of Hummingbird blocks available in MakeCode: blocks for the Hummingbird Bit and blocks for the Hummingbird Duo using the micro:bit adapter. If you used our recommended setup procedure for MakeCode, you were connected to a project preloaded with blocks for the Hummingbird Bit.
- Click here to connect to a project with Hummingbird Bit blocks loaded.
- Click here to connect to a project with the Hummingbird Duo blocks loaded (only for users with the Hummingbird Duo + micro:bit adapter).
- If you have done steps 1-6 and the tri-color LED is still not responding, you may be dealing with a broken tri-color or a broken tri-color port on your Hummingbird Bit. Try the tri-color LED on another port (be sure to update your code to reflect the new port number).
- If the tri-color LED reacts, the issue is with the Hummingbird tri-color port.
- If the tri-color LED does not react, switch it out with a new tri-color LED. If the new tri-color LED reacts, your first tri-color was broken. Watch the third video below to see reasons why the LED may be broken. (Note: On tri-color LEDs it is possible for just 1 or 2 of the colors to burn out)
- If needed, new components can be ordered from our store.
Watch this video to check your tri-color LED connection:
Watch this video to double check your tri-color LED code:
Watch this video to see why your tri-color LED may not be working properly: